HFD MEMBERS HONORED
Smiling faces all around as Harwich Fire honors two of their own. Anchoring this picture are Lt. Timothy Jaques (L) and Lt. Michael Mason (R) of the HFD with fellow firefighters Lt. Dan O'Connell, Dennis Fire, and Dan Kimball, Brewster Fire. Kimball and O'Connell were rescued after a training exercise in Brewster went terribly wrong. The incident happened at a Barnstable County Tech Rescue Dive Team at Sheep's Pond.
Lt. Jaques and Lt. Mason were both awarded citations for their exemplary service that day. Lieutenant Mason as dive team leader, was recognized for his command presence where diver Kimball was trapped under water under a vehicle and firefighter O'Connell was struck by the dive truck. Mason took command under a very sudden stressful situation managing all resources and personnel. He completed all of the tasks required of an incident commander.
When the vehicle rolled into the pond Lieutenant Jaques' quick action and knowledge of his profession provided the needed lifesaving assistance to the trapped diver. Jaques was able to locate the diver and pull him far enough to lift his head above the surface. This action allowed Kimball to be able to breath and provided the needed time for his complete extrication from under the dive truck.
Winter Fire Safety Tips
In 2011, heating equipment was involved in an estimated 53,600 reported U.S. home structure fires, with associated losses of 400 civilian deaths, 1,520 civilian injuries, and $893 million in direct property damage. These fires accounted for 14% of all reported home fires.
Space heaters, whether portable or stationary, accounted for one-third of home heating fires. The leading factor contributing to home heating fires was failure to clean, primarily creosote from chimneys.
Placing things that can burn too close to heating equipment or placing heating equipment too close to things that can burn, such as upholstered furniture, clothing, mattress, or bedding, was the leading factor contributing to more than half of home heating fire deaths. Half of all home heating fires occurred in December, January and February.
LOCK BOX Requirements
The Town of Harwich requires any home or business owner to install a lockbox on any property that has an alarm system that is monitored remotely. This includes medical alert buttons and fire alrm systems. These lockboxes are a safe and secure way to provide the Fire Department a key to the property in case of alarm activation. These lockboxes are opened by a special key that ONLY the fire department carries. These lockboxes are different than the ones distributed by the Harwich Water Department. Contact the HFD for more information at (508) 430-7546.
Click here to download the NEW 2013 Lock Box Form